Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Out of admiration for George Orwell (having just read Hitchens' "Why Orwell Matters") i would like to review my prejudices, because knowing them is extremely useful:

1. It seems i have a prejudice against popular culture. e.g.: i tend to categorize "my music" from "mainstream"; i am suspicious about television and what most people think is "entertainment"; i keep telling myself "why would i feel the need to read dan brown when i have yet to read dostoevsky?". i find this troubling because its seeping into my politics. to say it plainly: i distrust the masses. this train of thought is dangerous because it could eventually lead to fascism. ware the iron boot

2. I also have a prejudice against people who i find are unabashedly self-confident, who make bold assertions, who, in general, seem to know more than i do. i tend to assume that such people do not know self-doubt and therefore will make stupid mistakes. i should know better than to judge people by my own weaknesses

3. I have a slight prejudice against smoking, though it hasnt stopped me from having lots of friends with the habit. i am always tempted to wonder about smokers whether they do it for self-esteem, relaxation or as a social crutch. really, is it possible that they dont mind having cancer a few years from now?

4. I still have a lingering homophobia, but being around male faculty who have "defected" clears the air a lot. not that ill be a new recruit in the near future (defensive)

1 comment:

Andalusia said...

parang nakakatakot gayahin tong post. I wouldn't really want to know what my prejudices are, pero MARAMI ako nyan!!!

haha tangina tigilan na nila yung dan brown hype. I had to grab a copy of you know what at the last minute ONLY because of the mona lisa bit.